+ Reply to Thread

Thread: what size mat?

Wink what size mat?

would like to use 12mm pu foam sheet,will be fibreglassing sheet,what mat should i use to give enough strength,its a flat bottom hull,with sides that slope out at 60degrees,hull sides 24 inches,and also its corners or joints should be reinforced?what should i use?thanks for any help...and yes its part of a hovercraft hull...bugger!! , what a thing to want to do at 70+?!!

Try this instead....

Our foam is too low in density for this type of thing. If you want maximum strength / lightness you really should be looking at Nidaplast honeycombe core:

It will be far more durable, in 15mm form I think you would get away with 1x 600g chopped strand mat each side.

yes,thanks for input,need to be able to sand and work to curves and semi circles,so cutting and sanding needs to be easy,plus at some point the sheet would need to be thin enough to bend,not as a structural point, but to give me the shape then covered with glass..,is the foam h80[density?]...have seen a dark colored board used,and the thinner version is very pliable,cost is also a factor,the wife,s got my wallet!!! am i being awkward?

not at all, but our foam is way short (40kgm3) of the density you need, probably 65kgm3.

See this link it will explain.

+ Reply to Thread