+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Topcoat waves

Topcoat waves

Having issues I've tried to get my topcoat flat while rolling it on to new fibreglass (fibreglass is a text book finish)
    But im getting roller marks where the topcoat doesn't self level even when i try to tip it with a brush it just leaves lines. causing a lot of flatting back, which obviously when doing the whole top of a 21ft boat isn't the best to have happening.
    Just wondered is there a simple way to get it to flat off as it dries. maybe add 1 or 2% stryrene would that help?

This is driving me mad please please some good advice is gratefully accepted

Paul,

Short answer is no. Topcoat is thick, it's supposed to be, it's not paint. Topcoat is applied at around 500g per m2 (about 6 times thicker than paint) so don't expect it to flow and if you try to apply it too thin then you will get curing problems. Topcoat is really meant for sealing the rough side of fibreglass where it's thickness is a real plus at filling in the fibreglass texture.

That's not to say you can paint your boat with it (it is only waxed gelcoat after all) but if you wish to end up with a smooth surface then the only option is to sand it flat after its cured, go through the wet and dry sandpapers and compound polish the shine back.

I thought that was going to be the case Alex. I've been looking into sprayable epoxy primers and finishing coats I think i'm probably going to go down that route to be honest. A friend has kindly said i can use his lock up as a workshop/spray booth as his boats finished now (perfect timing )
    So the topcoat i have will be used as internal finishing of the cabin and other areas that need a tidy up.
    As always your advice is appreciated

+ Reply to Thread