+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Fibreglass bonnet help

New Fibreglass bonnet help

hey guys new here

and to fibreglass. im a little stumped here

1st of all i brought a new fibreglass car bonnet it;s street legal i.e im from australia.

now it's all warped up in gel coat but where they say clue the two part tougther it;s raw glass under there.so any ways i washed down the bonnet and then got afriad that the raw glass absorbed the water.So anyways i start blow drying it on the raw glass and some on the gelcoat to try and dry it out fast etc.

now the question is could i have hurt the gelcoat or glass in anyway i,e made it warp or stuff the resin up?i.e all seem fine just worryd i left the hair dryer blowing on the raw glass for say 5 to 10 min odd at a time then let it cool and did it again for say 3 hours a day. for 3to4 days any help would be great joshua

i can get some pics tomrrow to show you the parts i dryed

hey

just me again i could't tell the temp of the glass but i could still put my hand on it and it did't burn or anything

cheers josh

ok, so even cheap polyester resins will withstand ~60c minimum constantly (and that's the worst resin, the best will be over 100c). So unless you were REALLY CARELESS with a hair dryer you shouldn't have caused any damage. Although I am confused about why you are worried about absorbed water, unless it was left soaking in a bath of water for ages, it shouldn't have absorbed any(presuming the bonnet is a good quality, that is).

+ Reply to Thread