+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Product Advice

Product Advice

Hi there,

Am new to fibreglassing but found your website via all the forum recommendations, you guys certainly have a good rep.

I'm about to start my first little project and would like some recommendations if possible on what i need to buy from you, maybe you could put together a shopping list for me to buy from you.

This is a picture of my subwoofer in the car,

as you hopefully agree, it looks great in the photo's but up close the paint isn't great and you can see brush marks etc, it's made out of MDF.

I've now removed the sub box from the car, taken it apart and sanded it all down, I am now wanting to go over the inside of the box (the bit you can see in the photo) with fibreglass to give it a nice smooth look and so that I can paint it with spray paint to get a nice glossy, smooth finish.

As mentioned i'm pretty new to fibreglassing, although i've seen it done quite a lot i'm not 100% sure of the best stuff to use to in terms of sheeting/matting and resin, I am obviously sticking it to the MDF so I'm not sure if I need to apply some coats of resin to the MDF first for it to soak in and if so if I need a particular type (i.e Poly or Epoxy).
    I would also need brushes, roller and applicators or anything else you might think I will need.

Thanks for your help

James

So make sure ALL the existing paint is removed. I don't think that putting fibreglass on this is going to help, for cosmetics it'll probably be worse as it will be lumpy. For me, and keeping those lovely sharp lines, I would seal all this MDF with 2 or 3 coats of G4 sealer. This is a polyurethane resin coating that will plasticise the MDF, put it on quite generously and let it flow. Once cured sand down and car spray + laquer.

HI Alex
    Thanks very much for the advice, I will look up the sealer now and take your advice, I wasn't 100% sure on fibreglass but that's just the advice I was looking for.. I want to do my door builds too so will start my fibreglass learning when I come to them then.. Thanks very much again

James

Just a quick question, when you say let it flow, do you mean pour it in or brush it on? sorry if thats a stupid question, I pretty sure i need to brush it but just double checking lol.

oh sorry and where I've now sanded it, there are a few area's that need filling.. do i fill before G4? can you recommend a filler, also what's the best grade of sandpaper to get from you guys. Will buy them now and not pester you again until I need the fibreglass for my door builds haha... thanks
    Last edited by jholzherr; 13-06-2016 at 11:52.

Quote Originally Posted by jholzherr View Post
    Just a quick question, when you say let it flow, do you mean pour it in or brush it on? sorry if thats a stupid question, I pretty sure i need to brush it but just double checking lol.
    Apply it heavy with a fine brush. It should find its own level (not the first coat but the second or third)

Filler can be just ordinary car body filler.

Thanks for the advice, I received the G4 today, have used body filler I had in the shed to smooth the edges etc so excited to get this painted on tomorrow. How long do you recommend between coats and before painting? it doesn't mention on the bottle, also should i use primer before using spray paint? sorry for all the questions but also if I find I have any little bits I've missed anything and have the odd little scratch need filling, am I okay to put filler on top of the g4, make flat, then reapply g4 or is it not a good idea to layer it like that..

Thanks again for the help

James

Now this is really important. The fully cured G4 must be well sanded before anything will stick to it, including itself (the stuff is so damn hard!). I would definitely recommend using white primer for colour coverage.

There is a useful exception with G4 though that it will stick itself without sanding if you overcoat within 4 hours. So, if it was me, I would slap on 2 coats of G4 in one day, the next day sand it down and paint.

Thanks again for the advice, really appreciate it.. Have applied the first coat so will leave for an hour or two and apply another coat or two.. Will post up the finished product in a couple of days but thanks again for all the advice.

+ Reply to Thread