+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nidaplast

Nidaplast

Hi,

I am used to working with plywood & sheathing it with GRP.
    Plywood is obviously solid & edges can be "rounded over" or radiused with a router prior to sheathing with GRP.

I understand Nidaplast is the modern material to replace plywood.
    How would Nidaplast be "rounded over" or radiused on it's edges to enable sheathing with GRP as it is not solid inside ?

Thanks.

Martin,

For further info please read installation notes here.

My advice is half round in wood or plastic of the same thickness as the sheet your using.

Thanks Alex, presumably the wood profile should be glued to the edge of the Nidaplast with Sikaflex, PU40 or similar ?

If I was going to replace the deck on my boat with say, 15mm Nidaplast, what lay-up of CSM would you recommend & what needs to be done to the underside ?

Yes, actually just about anything that will hold it in place while you fibreglass over it including dobs of bodyfiller or hot glue it really doesn't matter. (not epoxy though).

Its tough recommending exactly because one wouldn't know the grief its going to be put under but.....

For small(ish) pleasure craft minimum 1x450 CSM underside 2x450 CSM on top. For heavy duty use 600g CSM instead. Unlike ply, nidaplast needs fibreglass on both sides.

Thanks Alex. Info is much appreciated.

+ Reply to Thread