+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gelcoat or Topcoat

Gelcoat or Topcoat

Hi
    My project is a fibre glass car from 1976 , the paint is very worn , down to the fibre glass on the edges, and there are a few stress cracks in the top coat and chips in the fibre glass, my questions are;
    should I repair the chips with filler, some are on the edges
    when I have sanded down the stress cracks do I fill then top coat/ gel coat
    do I use gel coat or top coat then sand & polish
    do I paint or roller on the gel/top coat
    thanks for your time

Stress fractures are common in old fibreglass cars. Gelcoat was very basic and brittle in the old days and cars take a lot more impact than boats. If you are happy using filler, then use it. Car fillers are polyester resin based, same as your car body. Filler is good when spot repairing stress cracks in gel particularly flexible body filler. The main rule is not to cover them up but ensure all the cracked gel is completely removed right down to the fibreglass layer.

Gelcoat repairing (with gelcoat) is an option, but normally it is done on new mouldings that are not painted over. It's tricky to do as you are trying to repair a surface with a product of the same hardness, sanding completely level without distorting the surrounding substrate is a very difficult skill to master. I am 100% sure you'll be painting this car after repairing it anyway so there is no real benefit is this type of repair method.

Check out the filler section on our website, as well as flexible fillers there are reinforced fillers too for larger damage to the surface of mouldings, the Kevlar filler is very smooth for a fibre mix.
    Last edited by Alex; 29-09-2015 at 09:50. Reason: I thought some words but didnt type them

Thanks for the advice Alex , look like I have a lot of filling and sanding to do

+ Reply to Thread