+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Below 5 degree cure - resin modification

Below 5 degree cure - resin modification

Is there a way of modifying your resins / topcoats to cure below 5 degrees without having to purchase zero degree/cold cure at extortionate rates?

If so what chemicals do I need, where are the suppliers and what are the ratios?

Below 5c is risky as the curing process requires some initial heat to start. But there are plenty of ways to boost the curing speed of resin once the process is underway. 'Low temp roofing resins' use extra cobalt accelerator mixed in. It can be done yourself but its strong stuff and must be kept very clear of catalyst as the liquids react with smoke and fire if mixed neat. Try also stronger catalyst and add upto 3%. Remember that air temp isn't the only factor in resin speed, direct sunlight onto the roof can warm the surface quite a lot and it can catch you out if you have ramped up the resin additives a lot. Of course, I think you may already know all this...

Thank you for your feedback Alex. I got one of your topcoats to cure at 3c last week using accelerator @ 1% then adding Fast catalyst @ 4%.

For the resin I used CureIt Cold Resin @ 4% applied at 3c we were able to to 6lm runs - gelled in 1hr but took a good 4 hours to work/sand.

One thing we did find is that we ended up with a few (90 degrees to the length of the roll) ripples in the fibreglass mat (600csm) - it was off a clean roll but it was hard to consolidate - maybe the fibres were cold and perhaps the mat may benefit from warming in low temps.....sorted once cured by sanding and repairing prior to topcoating.

However with all the resin we heated this in the van for a few hours prior to application.
    Last edited by Fibretechs; 19-01-2016 at 23:19. Reason: Typo

Well done, I always believe that working below about 5c is fingers crossed time as there are other factors too like moisture and that the sun sets really early. I guess with a bit of experience you can trust your instincts, a bit like a resin Jedi.

Moving forward if I use slow cat in summer is suppose I can reduce the cure time - hence do larger runs or have more time when double matting. Is there such a thing as decellarotor for this type of work?

Well, I suppose you could go back to the old, old days and buy your resin with no accelerator at all and add your own. The problem with high temps is the runaway effect, the pot life declines disproportionally to the heat. You could add less accelerator but there would be a 'cliff' where there wouldn't be enough to set the resin off. There are some slower blend resins out there like bravo 23
    which is considerably slower that standard GP and is popular during the summer although it doesnt carry fire regs like proper roofing resin.

+ Reply to Thread